Reducing Mosquitoes Around Your Fairfax Yard
June 15, 2022 - Mosquitoes
The snow has melted, the flowers and trees are blooming, and you’re in your backyard, relaxing in your lounge chair, soaking up all the warmth that summer has to offer when you hear a quick buzz in your ear. You swat it away, thinking nothing of it until you hear a buzz whiz by your other ear! You instinctively swat at it again. Then it lands on your arm. That’s not a fly! That’s a pesky mosquito. And where there’s one, there are many. Mosquitoes are more than annoying; they suck your blood and carry diseases. There are many types of mosquitoes, and Fairfax pest control experts know how to get rid of mosquitoes so you can fully embrace the warm days of summer from the comfort of your backyard.
Why Mosquitoes Are More Than A Nuisance
While there are male and female mosquitoes, the females are the ones that feed on our blood. They require blood protein to reproduce and create viable eggs. A female mosquito has many hosts that she gets blood from, including rodents, pets, wild animals, and humans. That means she has many opportunities to acquire and spread parasites and pathogens that can lead to serious diseases and illnesses. Mosquitoes in Virginia are more than a nuisance. They can spread the West Nile virus and two strains of encephalitis to humans and parasitic heartworms to pets.
DIY Mosquito Control Tips
There are a lot of DIY mosquito control tips on the internet, and most of them do not work or are only temporary fixes. The best way to kill mosquitoes is to hire SPRK Pest Control Solutions, but these tips can help keep them from coming back:
- Remove overgrown vegetation and keep your grass cut short. Mosquitoes hate heat and sun, which is why they are most active at dusk and dawn. The fewer shaded areas you have around your yard, the less likely they will want to hang out there.
- Eliminate standing water. These pests only need a thimbleful of water to lay eggs in, so even the smallest amount can be a breeding ground for their larvae.
- Hire a local pest control service to ensure mosquitoes stay away. The experts at SPRK Pest Control Solutions will create a customized solution for your home’s mosquito and pest needs.
Some people swear by citronella candles, specific plants, and bug zappers, but they have all proven not to be effective ways of keeping mosquitoes away for good.
How To Protect Yourself From Mosquitoes
Even if you have pest control for your yard, that doesn’t mean that your friends and family do. Protect yourself from mosquitoes with these tips:
- Apply a light coat of DEET insect repellent on your skin.
- Wear dark clothing with long sleeves and pants treated with permethrin.
- Use a fan. Mosquitoes are not strong fliers, so they can’t overpower the airflow.
- Avoid drinking beer. Mosquitoes love beer and enjoy biting people who have been drinking it.
Mosquito Control For Your Fairfax Yard
The best way to get rid of mosquitoes is with professional pest control services from SPRK Pest Solutions. Our experts work closely with you to meet all of your Fairfax pest control needs while exceeding expectations. If you are experiencing an influx of mosquitoes at your Virginia home, call us today!