Fairfax Property Owners' Complete Guide To Bat Management
August 15, 2022 - Bats
Bats are a common sight in Fairfax, and while many people enjoy watching them fly around at dusk, they can also be a nuisance if they start roosting on your property. Not only do bats pose a health hazard because of the diseases they can carry, but they can also damage buildings and attract other pests. If you're having problems with bats on your property, don't worry; SPRK Pest Solutions will cover everything you need to know, including how pest control in Fairfax can help you keep them away for good.
How To Tell If Bats Are Roosting On Your Property
The first step is to look for signs of bat activity, such as:
- Droppings (guano) near the entrance to your home or on your porch: Bats defecate where they roost, so if you see guano around your property, it's a good indication that bats are present.
- Staining or streaks on the outside of your home: Bats often leave stains on buildings when they roost, so if you notice any staining or streaks, it's a good sign that bats are roosting on your property.
- Bat sounds: You may hear bats squeaking, chirping, or rustling in trees or under eaves.
If you see any of these signs, it's important to call a bat pest control service right away to get rid of the bats before they cause any more damage or pose a health hazard to you and your family.
Bats On Your Property Can Be A Health Hazard
Bats may look harmless, but they can actually be a serious health hazard because of the diseases they carry, such as:
- Rabies: Rabies is a virus that affects the nervous system and is deadly if left untreated. Bats are one of the most common carriers of rabies, so it's important to be aware of the danger they pose.
- Histoplasmosis: This is a respiratory disease that can be caused by exposure to bat droppings. Symptoms include fever, chest pain, and shortness of breath. If you think you may have been exposed to bat droppings, it's important to see a doctor right away.
While the risk of contracting these diseases from bats is low, it's still important to take measures to avoid contact with them. If you think you may have been bitten by a bat, it's important to seek medical help immediately.
Factors That Attract Bats To Your Property
Several things can attract bats to your Fairfax property, including:
- Trees and shrubs that provide roosting sites
- Open areas with tall grass for hunting insects
- Water sources such as ponds or birdbaths
- Fruit trees
If you have any of these features on your property, you may be more likely to attract bats. To prevent them from roosting on your property, practice preventive bat control by removing any potential roosting sites and making sure there are no openings in your home that they can enter. If you already have them on your property, the best way to control bats in Fairfax is by contacting a pest control professional.
The Best Way To Remove Bats From Your Property
The best way to get rid of bats is to hire a professional in bat pest control near you who can safely and humanely remove them from your property. SPRK Pest Solutions offers humane bat control services in Fairfax, and our team of experts will make sure they are gone for good. We also offer preventive measures to keep them from returning in the future.
If you're seeing these winged invaders around your property, leave it to the bat control specialists for your Fairfax home. Give SPRK Pest Solutions a call today to schedule a free quote.